I have been told that knitting is a mathematical equation and that all the people who create knitting patterns are mathematical geniuses. Now, after designing a few simple things myself, I quickly brushed that tid bit of information from my mind because I used no math what so ever. Let's just say I have an uncanny talent of eye measurement. I also have an uncanny talent for making things up as I go. But this is not what I'm trying to make you see so I will get on to another story and believe me, these two stories will connect before long.
The other day I was searching the knitting blog world, when I found a girl who designs her own sweater patterns in Europe. One of the pictures posted on said blog, was her note book filled with extensive equations and sitting next to said notebook was a pencil and scientific calculator. After seeing this picture I kind of started to think that maybe this knitting thing that I've been so tied up in for half my life is a little bit harder than I thought.
So after this encounter, I decided to get out my sweater pattern book and see how much yarn I needed for the sweater I'm going to knit myself. As I'm casually reading the yarn requirements, I happen to notice that this sweater will be slightly too big if I follow this pattern. So I find a little section that tells you ALL about how to fix the pattern so that the sweater will meet your size requirements. Holy Moly. I'm a little scared to try. Will I be satisfied with a sweater that is a little too big for me? I think NOT! So this just means that I (Who is not mathematically inclined what so ever) will have to read that section and the pattern over and over again until I understand and can take a wack at the whole sweater knitting business.
Anyway, my husband is coming home this weekend and it's become a little shocking how busy I am this week compared to last week. I wanted to clean and get EVERYTHING unpacked and put away in our new house before he comes home. But with work, driving out to someone's house to do laundry, people staying over at my new house, AND cleaning the apartment we moved out of, I have no idea how I'll find time to do it all. I haven't had time for knitting or reading at night, I haven't even had time for doing the dishes! Fortunately my little sister has been holding down the fort at my house and doing the dishes is one of her specialties. I was at the old apartment until 11:30 last night (which is my usual bedtime) and then I had to drive the half hour to get home.... needless to say I was in bed by 12:45 and up at the butt crack of 7am and I am so tired today.
So I think you've had enough about my complaining.
Thanks for the friendly ear!
No comments:
Post a Comment